Saturday, April 20, 2013

Gnocchi Improv

      When I was shopping yesterday I found a package of gnocchi.  I had it a few years ago and I remembered liking it.  I had no idea what I would serve it with but I got it anyways.  My parents were going out for dinner so I was in charge of cooking.  I asked my siblings ( aged 23, 12, and 10) if they would like to try gnocchi and they said they would.  Thankfully, I do not have picky eaters in my family so I went to work.

      I did a look around the fridge, pantry and spice cabinet to see what we had.  Took out a few things and put it together.  The only thing I would change is putting the sun dried tomatoes in towards the end since they got a little too dark for my tastes.  Here is the recipe for what I came up with including the change for the sun dried tomatoes.  I'm using guesstimations for the amounts because I didn't use measuring cups or spoons.

Tomato Gnocchi
Serves 3-4

1 package gnocchi
1 medium sized sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
Olive oil
1/8 tsp dried cilantro
A few shakes of dried oregano
1/8 tsp dried basil
2 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs vegan pesto paste
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
Sun dried tomatoes (put in enough for your tastes)
1 8oz package grilled chicken strips

     Put on water to boil in a medium size pot for gnocchi.  Slice onion and put in a large skillet with the bottom coated in olive oil and add garlic on medium-high heat.  Once onions begin to soften, put in cilantro, oregano, basil, tomato paste, and pesto paste with a little more oil.  Let that simmer on low heat until the gnocchi goes in the pot to boil.  Cook gnocchi for the allotted time on the package (mine was 3 minutes).  While gnocchi is cooking, put remaining ingredients in the skillet on medium heat.  Drain gnocchi when the time is up and stir it in the skillet.  Make sure everything is fully heated up by cooking for a few more minutes.  Serve with a salad or your favorite vegetable.


No comments:

Post a Comment